Travel to Bicol: Top 10 Things to do
Bicol is one of the top tourist destinations in the country. Bicol is known to be the home of the famous Mount Mayon, a volcano with a perfectly shaped cone. Bicol is situated in the southern most part of the island of Luzon. This region has many things to offer to tourist such as natural attractions, fine dining and delicious cuisine and the rich cultural and historical heritage of Bicol.
Bicol hs beautiful scenic and enchanted views that includes beautiful beaches, world-class diving sites, centuries-old churches and religious relics, famous landmarks and many historical places. Visitors and tourist will enjoy a range of leisure and recreational activities like diving, snorkeling, swimming, or trekking. The beaches of Bicol including the exotic Sogod Beach in Bacaycay, offer ideal conditions for beach activities.
Now that you have an idea what are the tourist attractions in Bicol, but still you don’t know where to start or where to go. Bicol Region has six provinces namely Albay, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Sorsogon, Catanduanes, and Masbate and theres a lot of scenic and beautiful places that is waiting for you to be explored. So here are the top places that you can start with.
1. Mayon Trekking: a trek to Mayon is an exciting outdoor adventure because you will see how perfect the symmetrical cone of this Volcano. Not only that you will have a chance to see the magnificent view of the Albay gulf. You will discover the proofs of Mayon Volcano’s destructive fury that buried Cagsawa the only evidence today is the Cagsawa church belfry that is still standing.
2. Pilgrimage to the Basilica Minore in Naga: The home of the miraculous image of the Patroness of Bicolandia, Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia. Every September, in the feast of Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia, thousands of devotees and pilgrims visit this place to venerate the Virgin Mary.
3. Gold digging in Camarines: Paracale, Camarines Norte has very rich deposits of gold, iron, uranium, copper, zinc and lead and this place is known as the gold country of the province. People here are known to worked the mines even way back to the pre-Spanish period. Paracale, Camarines Norte is the center of the jewelry-making industry and is still regarded as a good place to purchase fine gold jewelry.
4. Food Tripping in Legazpi: When you feel hungry and want to try rich and spicy dishes that are mostly cooked using “gata” or coconut milk and flavored with “siling labuyo” then you are looking for a Bicol cuisine. Stop by in Legazpi City and taste the Bicolano specialties such as bicol express, pinangat and laing.
5. Go Surfing in Catanduanes: The Puraran beach is a popular surfing site in Catanduanes and is popularly known in the international surfing circuit as “Majestic”. The waves here are spectacular because Catanduanes province is located along the typhoon belt area, northeast of Legazpi City, bounded on the north and east by the Pacific Ocean, which explains the magnificent surf breaks.
6. Historic shrines in Daet: This is the place where Philippine’s National Hero Dr. Jose Rizal’s first monument was built in honor of him. The statue was unveiled on Dec. 30, 1898. The effort was initiated by Lt. Col. Antonio Saez of the Revolutionary Army.
7. Island hopping in Masbate: Masbate is an island that has many beautiful beaches. You can go island hopping from one island to another and discover the beauty of each island. You can enjoy your weekend picnics with your family and friends in one of the islands that are sorrounded by giant trees and luscious vegetation. Masbate is also famous from its unique festival called the Rodeo Festival.
8. Wakeboarding in Camarines Sur Watersports Complex: This is the first world-class watersports complex in all Asia. Many international wakeboarders and tourist all over the world come here in Camarines sur to experience the ride of their life that they have never experienced before. Camarines Sur Watersports Complex offers you the chance to learn wakeboarding, wake skate, water ski and knee board.
9. Whale Shark Interaction in Donsol: This is one of the most popular tourist attraction in the region. This massive but gentle denizen of the deep waters of Donsol, locally known as butanding, are more visible during the summer. Not only that, you can experience the enchanting firefly watching in Donsol when you cruise the river at night.
10. Build homes for Habitat: If you have nothing to do want to do some charity work then become a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity then you can sign up and help build homes and rebuild the lives of some 2,000 families who were displaced by typhoons Milenyo and Reming last year. The resettlement site is located in Daraga, Albay.
You might find these articles interesting too: